To View Hand Written Letters:

To view Hand written letters: Click on a letter to bring it onto it's own page, then click again to enlarge to full size.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Longest Email Ever

Thammmy...
Of course Im in Peru. Of course there are things here I wouldnt tell any of you about, except for maybe Matt and Josh and my other brothers. Of course I got a letter from dad from about sixty two years ago and I loved it! Thanks didge. Definitely if you send a letter here, I will get it in like five days after you send it. I leave here December 15 give or take a day then send ertang to the mission home.
Av. Carlos Izaguirre 124
Centro de Estaca de Tahuantinsuyo
Independencia
Lima
Peru
Just send ertings to there and it might find a way to find me. No se. If you want to get a letter to me here, I think its possible. just address it to:
Elder Kolby Emett
CCM Lima PerĂº
Ave. Melgarejo # 159
Urb. Campo Blanco
La Molina - Lima 12
PerĂº
Thanks for sending Christmas!!! Its like 80 degrees here so it doesnt feel like Christmas at all, but its always nice to pretend. I will make sure to share everything with my companion, and im STOKED to be cool enough to get an ornament from the tree! Poor Ben. Poor Reptar. I double wish I could have made some g-bread houses but i was just too busy learning how to be a peruvian.
I will try to answer your rampage of questions now haha. The CCM is GREAT!!!!!!! I hated the first few days. Each room has six Elders. I am the only white person in the CCM who shares a room with 5 Latinos. The first few days were so hard. My companion and I get along really well though! His name is Elder Salazar and, like I said, he speaks enough english to kinda get by ish. He will be serving in the cuzco mission which is really exciting. I didnt realize this when I opened my letter or even while I was in the Provo MTC, but the North mission is the Rotuma of Fiji. The north mission is where everyone here wants to go or wishes they were called to. Roughly 96% of the mission is jungle, and im not talking arizona strip jungle, this is for real. Elders in the North mission get machetes and eat bugs and fruit regularly. Im so excited! I will be there in two weeks!! Thats so crazy to think about. Im about 3000 miles from you all.
I am catching up to the spanish pretty quickly. I can understand about 90% of what is spoken to me if I am paying attention, but its still hard. We have 3 verb conjugations- past, present, and future. Spanish has 17. I have to pay extreme attention because the difference between one letter sound can mean the difference between something in the past and a present command haha. Mistakes are priceless. I went to the temple today!!!!!!!!!!! It was so cool. ALL IN SPANISH! And I understood it all! After we went to the temple, we had an hour to go shopping haha. We went to a big store (it was clean) called Tottus and bought inca cola and all these funny little snacks for half the price of U.S. stuff! I would explain to you the bus situation and how traffic here is, but you would have a heart attack haha its so much fun. No wonder the Lord sends 19 year old boys to do this work. I look out my window in the morning and I cant believe what I see beyond the walls of the CCM. We are in one of the nicest places of all of Peru and I almost started crying when I looked at their houses. Some of them are nice enough to live in and some of them compare to U.S. apartments, but its just all so unorganized and filthy.
Elder Naylor did not leave for home, but for the mission field. That make more sense? No, this CCM is nothing like the Provo MTC. Nothing like it. The rules are different, the food is different, the beds are different, the language is 98 percent spanish instead of 98 percent english, none of the Latinos here have ever been in the same country as a General Authority and ive listened to 4 speak live, the keyboards are in spanish haha, its burning hot here, we get to go tracting on saturdays-live tracting for real, we teach twice a day in spanish as compared to once a week in Provo, everthing is more laid back too for some reason, the temple is so small we have to have special permission and passes to go there- it can only hold 24 people at a time!!!!!! Everything is different. Its almost unbelievable how much I love the Latinos. They are so touchy feely and happy that you just cant not like them. I absolutely love my companion and all the latinos in my room and all the latinos in my district, its amazing to be able to see past the difference in appearance and realize they are all my age, they all have families that they miss, and they all love this gospel just as much as I do and they all have a desire to serve and share what was just recently shared with their families. Most of the Latinos here are first generation members and never get their endowments until they are in the CCM and their companions are the escorts! My companion already had his tho, its ok.
We have unlimited e-mail time here and the president said we can email whoever we want so I kinda want to take some time to give you some details about things, but I dont really know what to tell you other than what ive already told you. I will have two more chances to email you before I leave for the field. Next wednesday on the 8th and then the following tuesday on the 14th, then I will be in the field. There are five main areas we can be called to in our field. Two right on the amazon river, two in the middle of nowhere in the jungle, and a portion in the northern part of Lima. One area in our mission which is the furthest away from Lima of all the Peruvian missions is called like Izquitos or something and its 650 miles north of Lima in the middle of the jungle, right on the amazon. I hope I dont get called there, I dont do planes very well.
Is Kjirsten putting all this on a blog or whatever cuz that would be super bossin. I have told some friends about the blog so hopefully thats all working out nicely and everyone is well aware that im doing just great. Im pretty sure it straight up works to send letters here so if you feel so inclined, you might as well haha. Mail here is very rare for everyone, but its alright. Next week I will send you all some pictures through email that I have taken so far. I just have boring pictures, but I figure they would be cool to look at. I could send them today, but Im too lazy to walk up two flights of stairs and get my camera cord so you will have to wait til next week, i hope the suspense doesnt kill you. I was considering going on an email strike until I got some pictures of Addie, but I like talking to you so I will keep sending emails. You can just attach pictures of Addie to the email you send me and I can enjoy them and maybe you could send me a picture of jakes legs so my companions will believe me and a picture of me and jessica together so they will believe me on that one too hahaha jk.
I hope everthing at home is going well. As always, I am praying for you all and i hope you are enjoying the frost and all the dry air. Lima smells like tar and dirt and poor hygeine during the day, but during the night there is this flower that puts off this sweet smell and its like my favorite thing in the world. I really do love it here and it would already be hard to leave and go home. I will apologize in advanced for being weird and sad when I come back in 22 months. I love you all. Thank you so much for raising me with a good attitude towards everything and courage to eat anything, it really does help so much. Im excited to start hearing whats going on in your country. Enjoy the longest email I will ever write. thats a crab.
con amor, Elder Emett

No comments:

Post a Comment