Dear Jill,
Haha Mom!!! You are such a worrier! Everything is fine here! Yes, I have permission to play the guitar even though I hardly have time to play it (like 2 or 3 times a week in the night just before I go to bed). And I´m sorry I don´t write a whole whole whole bunch to you guys. It´s not because I´m disobedient, it´s not because I´m not doing anything, its just cuz I am suuuuper busy all week then I get to the computer and my brain just shuts down. I never know what to say. SORRY! I will do whaahahhahay better today.
So I´m in a ward right now called Buenos Aires, it´s like an hour bus ride from the offices. Technically we are still in Lima, but it´s like a different city called San Juan de Lurigancho. It´s basically Lima haha. The ward members are good! We had to kind of straighten them out and get them all stoked, but we did it and now we are progressing like champions. The Bishop´s name is Bishop Calderón. He is a really nice guy, but he has been Bishop for a while and is just kind of tired now haha. We went to lunch with him like a week ago to this chicken restaurant called Norky´s and we ate so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two full chickens, a bunch of other meats, three serving of french fries, two salads and dessert!!! The meal ended up costing like 140 soles for 5 people! That´s like 50 bucks. It was so funny. He really trusts us as missionaries and is giving us referrals to his friends and he is re-stoked about missionary work. Our pensionist is the best. We eat breakfast there every morning at 7 thirty. We usually eat yogurt and granola (even though they had no idea what gronola was until we told them haha... it´s just not typical peruvian food.) It is a big happy family named the Lopez family. We celebrated my birthday there and it was so cool! We had cake and empenadas and a piñata and jello and inca kola. It is so easy to feel the spirit in their house.
We are teaching a lot of amazing people right now, Including 5 different families, 2 of which who want to be baptized and the others steadily progressing. One really cool story is that our area is tiny! We almost know everyone and we have knocked every single door! So we have had a hard time finding people, but we are still trying! One night, we were walking to an appointment and this car was coming towards us and it stopped and this guy yelled ¨hey elders, come here!¨ He then explained to us that he is a member of the church, but he is inactive. He served a mission in northern peru like 25 years ago then moved to venezuela. He came back to Peru (to our area) and has been living there for like six months. He is living with a lady right now named Deysi and she has a daughter named Eymi, they were both born catholics and have never heard of the church. So the guy (Jimmy) basically told us that he wants to talk to the bishop, put his life in order, get married, baptize his family, and start coming to church!!!! How crazy!!!! So we have been working with him for a week and he will get married in September and the family (including Deysi´s brother) will all get baptized the saturday after the marriage. How cool is that!?
I hope that gives you all a little bit clearer view fo what´s going on here in Peru! Mom, I love this gospel so much. I love the church, and I love being a missionary. Prayer works and God really does have a plan for us. He wants ALL of us to return to live with him and there is a way for EVERYONE to achieve that. Dont worry about me mom. I am doing just great and totally stoked to be here. I am finally more comfortable in Peru than I can remember being in the States. This is just my home now haha. I love you all and I will write you more next week!!!
Love Elder Emett
P.s. just because i love you, i am sending you a picture of me in this place called Chorrillos. It´s like an hour away from where we are. We went there on my birthday! Just behind us, there is this huge statue of Jesus just like the one in Brazil, but this one is just a small dinky one compared to that one. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
And.... another foto of my companion Elder Castillo cutting my hair in Yurimaguas haha. He was such a funny guy! And it actually turned out pretty good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And.... We got our changes today. My companion is leaving. Pretty sad. We will get some pictures together to send to you next week. I will be staying in my same area so don´t even worry!
No comments:
Post a Comment