Dear my mother,
I am so stoked that you got to look up Iquitos on the internet and see where I am. It is a HUGE city, but I live on the outskirts haha. The house I live in is actually pretty nice, but the houses in my area aren´t really like houses in Lima. They are just like the happy little jungle huts in Yurimaguas. I was thinking about it and if you had to compare this place with the united states, it would be like the forest swamps in Louisiana. Last night we were crossing over a swamp on this hilarious ghetto bridge made of sticks and big pieces of wood and there were all kinds of bugs and snakes and frogs making all kinds of crazy sounds and there were fireflies and little jungle huts lit by candlelight and I just felt like I was totally in like some swamp-place in Louisiana. The spanish here is different, too. In spain, they speak spanish. In LIma they speak Castellano which is almost the same as spanish, but a little bit different, and in the jungle part of PerĂº they speak Castellano-Charapa. It´s kind of a joke to them, but it´s like a different dialect of sorts. They don´t really just talk, they kinda sing their words haha. It is really fun to listen to it, learn it, and speak it.
In the mission hand book, it says that we can only call for 40 minutes on christmas and we just got a letter from the president reminding us to follow that rule, so I will only be talking with you for 40 mintues instead of 1 hour on christmas day. We will also be doing a pre-call. I don´t know when, but it won´t be this week, so don´t worry yet. Everything is going very, very good here. We had another baptism on saturday. I kinda had a personal goal before the mission to baptize a man named Steven and I totally achieved that goal on saturday. The man´s name is Estevan Leyba. His wife died about 6 months ago and he came to church one day and asked us how he could make the pain go away and if he would ever see his wife again. He accpeted a baptismal date in the first lesson and has enjoyed every detail of the church. Before he was baptized, he told us that he misses his wife still, but he just can´t feel the pain anymore. He understands the plan of hapiness and he is looking forward to seeing her. He will be going to the temple in 1 year to be sealed to her for time and all eternity. What a stud.
One of the families we are teaching is going to get baptized this saturday and another one is going to get baptized on the 31st. And there are about 4 more who are ready to get married and baptized in January, we just need to get all their papers haha. We feel so blessed in the work right now. My health is good. The ward is doing amazing. And I complete 14 months in the mission tomorrow......... Don´t know how I feel about that haha. It´s better to think of it this way - I still don´t have a year in the field. But I will be home in 10 months. Cupla things. 1. I am totally going to work at best buy when I get home and I am 100% going to get a motorcycle to drive around, everyone here has one and it´s just grown on me. 2. I saw a picture of Paysli that dad sent me and it scared me half to death. She is bigger than Anne! I literally did not recognize her at all. 3. Can we have an Emett Family Fun Time when I get back? I know I didn´t like them before the mission, but I totally miss that haha. And... that´s everything. I love you all a whole bunch. I got both your christmas envelopes that you sent me and if my brothers have different christmas pajamas than me this year I am going to be way sad hahaha. Thanks!!!
Love Elder Emett
No comments:
Post a Comment